Pages

Thursday 8 August 2013

Midnight Snacking

I feel like a walking contradiction.  I am consumed by thoughts of losing weight, and I constantly reflect on how unhappy I am with my current size; on how life would be so much easier if I were just a few pounds lighter.  Yet my actions do not align with said thoughts/reflections.  Last night I woke up at 3AM.  On my walk back from the bathroom, I saw a pack of Oreo cookies on the kitchen counter.  What happens next is pretty typical for me...

what my thought process should have been:
"No, no no. It is 3 o' clock in the morning, you're not really hungry.  It is not worth it. Just mosey on by and go back to bed"

my actual thought process:
"Ooh look Oreos, I'm not really hungry but I've been craving something sweet"

[...PROCEED TO MINDLESSLY EAT 3 COOKIES]
"You know what would make this gluttonous, binge-fest even better? PEANUT BUTTER!"

[...PROCEED TO ADD A HEAPING GLOB OF PEANUT BUTTER TO EACH OREO]
"Stop it Ani, you totally shouldn't be eating these.  This is definitely not part of your diet.  You ate so much food yesterday and at the end of it all you vowed to make healthier choices. Remember all those clothes you wanted to buy for fall?  All those outfits you pinned to your style board? Put the cookie down"

[...PROCEED TO RATIONALIZE CONSUMPTION]
"Oh well, I just moved and I'm stressed.  I need to get this junk food out of my apartment anyway.  Tomorrow is a new day.  I'll probably get lemons after work tomorrow and cleanse for the next few day"

[...PROCEED TO ACCEPTANCE STAGE]
"Yum yum yum, these cookies taste so good.  Now that I'm pleasantly plump, I'll wash it all down with a giant glass of almond milk and call it a night."

[...PROCEED TO FEEL POST-CONSUMPTION GUILT]
Ugh, why did I just eat those 10 Oreo cookies!? It is THREE IN THE MORNING!  I had a gigantic dinner just before bed.  I'm such a failure. I need to get my shit together.

No comments:

Post a Comment