Pages

Wednesday 15 May 2013

The Silent Killer

doctor, doctor give me the news.
I had an appointment with my pediatrician yesterday and I got some scary news!  ....Yes I still see a pediatrician, and yes the fact that I need to start seeing a "real doctor" soon freaks me out... but that's not the news I'm talking about here.  What started as a routine checkup took a turn for the worst when my doctor informed me I have *dun dun dunnn* HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE.  Eeek, I'm only 21! I can't have hight blood pressure yet. 

ignorance is bliss.
I have a family history of high BP, but I honestly didn't think it was a big deal -- that is, until I did some research.  I consulted WebMD.  In hindsight this probably wasn't the smartest idea since WebMD tends to makes even the commonest of colds sound like the deadliest of cancers.  Anyway, I looked and now there's no unreading what I read.  They called high blood pressure the "silent killer." Killer? KILLER!? I should've just stopped there because next they discussed how internal organs are slowly damaged (often without any symptoms at all) and before you know it, BAM heart attack!  Talk about a wakeup call!


yeah, i workout.
In the end my doctor just told me to exercise more.  Seeing as I don't do much exercise outside of walking from my bedroom to the kitchen, the "more" part should be fairly easy.  On the bright side, I now have a lifetime's worth of reasons to hit the gym.

follow-up appointment in one month.  stay posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment