Pages

Friday 30 August 2013

My First 5K: October 12, 2013

SOURCE: Self Magazine

run ani, run
Exciting news: I signed up for a 5k!!!  This is a HUGE deal for me.  I've never done a 5k before... unless you count the TKE 5k I did my sophomore year of college -- which I don't because (1) it was a fraternity philanthropy event, (2) the people I were with did NOT run ...or jog ...we strolled leisurely the entire way, and (3) it was early on a Sunday morning so everyone was super hungover from the night before... my friend was actually still drunk.

Anyway my first "real" 5k is on October 12th which means I have approximately 6 weeks to prepare.  I printed out a 5-week 5k training schedule from self.com.  If all goes according to plan, I will start training on Tuesday.  Technically the schedule starts on a Monday, but I will be in Vermont for Labor Day weekend.  As such, I did my Monday workout yesterday.

5k training: day #1
Day 1 of training consisted of running 1 mile at an easy pace... and I did it! I jogged an entire mile without stopping; I did not walk one single step of the way :)  Granted it took me 13 minutes on the treadmill, but I don't even care because I DID IT!!!!

I should probably note that I am a HORRIBLE runner.  In my head, I'm a realy good runner; I always imagine myself running swiftly through nature with my ponytail bouncing in the wind and my skin glistening in the morning sun.  This, however, is never the case.  In reality, I struggle to run from one telephone pole to another.  I start really ambitious and then tire out halfway through he first song on my playlist.  This makes the rest of the run a miserable combination of gagging, walking, and mental cursing.

So although it might not be a big deal to anyone else, I'm proud of my one mile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment